Sunday 1 February 2015

YGO Locals Report - The Ring Rust is real

Originally I was not going to head out today as the prospect of sleeping in on a bitterly cold Sunday was incredibly appealing.  However my friends convinced me to go to Saskatoon for the day and participate in their locals as I'd be able to hang out with (mostly) competent people and there'd be things I could find that couldn't be found here, like Link Joker and Liberator Trial Decks ooooOoOoOh!  I spent the better part of the previous night patching up my Satellarknight deck that I hadn't taken to a tourney since the last report I did with them on the off chance I couldn't build Heroes in time.

One high octaine car ride later we arrive in s'toon and I'm able to buy 3 Hero decks, but the tournament starts before I can even crack them open!  Worse yet I forgot to nab a Rigel off Megamonkey and wound up still playing Procyon who is god awful now.  I decided to try out Jeff Jones and Billy Brake's idea of running Enemy Controller and Threatening Roar in the main in place of my floodgates and prisons as I found those cards are awful mained right now and cut a Ragnazero from my Extra for Gandiva as he has potential in the Burning Abyss matchup.

Round 1 - vs Qlifort (2-1)

Game 1: He doesn't see a Scout and I hit it off with Vega + Deneb into Tsukiyomi and steadily build advantage from there and win.

Game 2: He does Qli things and I don't see enough removal for his non monsters so I take alot of damage.  I clear the board and make the mistake of not playing Altair even to bring up a chump blocker as he was in topdeck mode so I figured I'd have the chance to get more value out of him the following turn.  He rips Summoner's Art, Pendulum Summons and I die.

Game 3: He tries to floodgate me and this time I have Typhoon and Dust to deal with them, so I don't outright die.  However I am behind in cards and he's put a fair amount of things onto the board so I make Exciton and blow him out.

Round 2 - vs U.A. (2-0)

Game 1: I had a vague idea of what his cards did, like a potential OTK with a card combination.  Doesn't happen here and Triverr breaks up his board and I snowball it from there.

Game 2: He sets up double of the Herald of Perfection guy and I misplay thinking he works on either turn so I bait out both of them and go along.  Turns out I could have used Call of the Haunted and Oasis of Dragon Souls on his turn to set up my board and do things.  I still won though.

Round 3 - vs Burning Abyss (2-0)

Game 1: I had a feeling I'd play the people I rode up with and the rest of the day pretty much proved that I CAN SEE THE FUTUUUUUURE!!!

Anyway he opens with a handful of not monsters while I'm rolling so I win quickly.

Game 2: He opens set 4, a monster and pass which I grind through while noticing he had a Kharma Cut and Vanity's Emptiness down from the way he checked his sets (he angled them too high and I could see part of the card) and played accordingly.  That and I saw backrow hate which helped.  More importantly I resolve Ojama Trio and make it stick for the rest of the game and he ultimately burns his entire deck out and I win.  It also didn't help him that he Raigeki'd my Xyz and I summoned 3 Tellars off of it.  Was worth?

Round 4 - vs Qliphort (0-2)

Game 1: I open 2 Vega, Sirius, Deneb and an Unuk while drawing into another monster going second vs one set.  That set ends up being Emptiness which gives him the single turn he needed to assemble an OTK so I die.

Game 2: This one goes a while as I'm able to establish some bodies, but I get blown out from not having Ragnazero, him resolving Stealth which is a fucking bullshit card, Swords at Dawn and finally Vanity's Emptiness.

Have I mentioned how much I detest floodgates?  Pretty sure I went on a bit of a rant about the Floodgate Format being a reason I stopped playing after NECH.  Yeah I hope that Konami hits Emptiness once and for all next list.  Fuck that card.

Top 4 - vs Burning Abyss (2-1)

Game 1: I think this one ended fairly quick as my hand was pooters and BA is kind of really good.  I'm talking I open with two non combo monsters and a Soul Charge and that just gets shat on by Emptiness.  Sigh.

Game 2: This one is a bit fuzzy but I know I pick off a Fire Lake in the end phase with MST (normally bad but my position in the game was poor and I had to take tempo the following turn so I really had no choice.  It's not like as if there are no bad hits vs BA anyway given that all of their backrow tries to disrupt my plays...)  Triverr when he was down in advantage and force out the scoop.

Game 3: I open ass and don't see Deneb for several minutes which is like 30 turns in Yu-Gi-Oh! these days SHOTS FIRED sad but ture.  Yes ture.  Anywho he uses Mask Change II to summon Dark Law which fucks me in the kneecap as I had Vega + RotA in hand, so I'm forced to start making horribly minus plays to out the damn thing, eventually do with Cairngorgon and I slowly take the game back with it and Abyss Dweller.  I make a misplay with the Dweller by shotgunning it's second material on his turn instead of waiting until mine when I had a Delteros/Triverr play so I could have outed his board which pisses me off as I could have possibly taken the game then.  Instead it ends up being a stalemate until I rip Snatch Steal and win.

Finals - vs Qliphort (0-2)

I was fiendishly hungry and really didn't want to play another Qliphort deck, so I gave him the win and we decided to go get giant burgers.  Totally worth it.

Props
-First real bit of Yu-Gi-Oh! I've played for the better part of two months and I got second at Saskatoon Locals with Tellarknights.  That's actually not bad.
-Got to bust out the Mega Man Mat and Sleeves.  They got unanimous thumbs up.
-Found Link Joker Legion Trial Decks!

Slops
-Only 2 though.  I need ONE MORE to finish Joker/Dancer.
-Misplays
-Fucking Qlis.  Those things are not fun to play against at all.

No comments:

Post a Comment