Tuesday 20 March 2018

Mar 17-18/2018 Locals Report - The Winning Formula

Vanguard

My Star Gate order came in (literally the day of the stream where the Reset was announced) so I decided to play Victor.  According to one (retarded) person it was the best deck of the format pre Set 14 but here in the real world where Aqua Force boners don't cloud our judgement I'd say it's a solid 2nd best.  Post Set 14 the deck has fallen to middle of the pack for Tier 1 (it's peers being ZtB, Dominate, Deletors and Regalia/Chaos/Overlord) but it's still very good and nobody at my locals have finished Set 14 decks so as long as I can dodge Chaos I probably have a reasonable chance of running away with the whole thing.

Round 1 - vs Victor (Win)

By the way our format is Best of 1 now.  Best of 3 takes too long when the tournaments start at 1:00.  If it was 11 or 12 the arguement could be made but when rounds take 20-30 minutes per game, time will be an issue.

That being said my first round with Victor ended up being the Mirror.  Except my opponent didn't have his Star Gate stuff in as he didn't want to spend the money on what he didn't pull on Set Release day because of there being rumours of a second print run and with it a lowered market value on what he doesn't own.  I'm pretty certain the Nation Boosters aren't getting a 2nd print?

Mind you if Solemn Vanguard had simply never bitched about Victor in all of his videos the price of his cards in the set wouldn't have doubled.  Him yapping about Nubatama has also driven up the price of Dominate out of the new set.  Why?  Because it beats the terror that is Nociel Gyze which has been "topping left and right" and because Solemn's fanbase is numerous and don't think, they cause undue hype.  The comparisons to Azneyeswhitedragon and MegacapitalG are definitely warranted as he is that kind of shitter channel.

...in any case my opponent is basically playing Set 10 Victor with Zubats and I'm playing "Tier 0" Victor.  I also get first stride and have a pretty good hand that were it not for his two defensive triggers probably would have won me the game through Winning Champ.  As it is I build up enough resources to live through his Meteokaiser turn and kill him on my follow up Winning Champ.

Round 2 - vs Luard (Win)

Even if my opponent didn't miss ride or draw sub-optimally it wouldn't have mattered.  Luard gets absolutely destroyed by Victor as a deck like it hates being multi attacked and Victor does it with increasing power through Winning Champ and I do exactly that here by taking him from 3 to dead on my first stride.

Round 3 - vs Chaos (Lose)

Apparently Victor was BDIF because it has unlockers for days.

Yeah about that...no.

You can have unlockers for days, but if your hand is weak or Chaos draws well you're still kind of fucked.  I'm able to fight for first stride but my hand is literally 0 shields, a Zubat and 2 Grade 1s so my ability to combo is weak.  I try to make it work but the lack of Golsachi/Ninjaad shows as I'm unable to get enough procs off of Winning Champ in order to hit GB8 on my turn and have to fall back on Pogchamp to try and win on my second stride after unlocking my board.  Unfortunately his hand is like 12 cards including a Perfect Guard and 2 G-Guards (plus my board is still small as fuck.  I needed boosters to make my swings work) so Pogchamp fails and I die.  Should have I gone for Winning Champ instead?  I don't know.  12 cards is a lot to power through.   I'll try next time.

Round 4 - vs Overlord (Win)


I got the feature match!

...Actually I had forgotten to record another person's round earlier and decided to do mine.

I'm gonna straight say this.  Woodhouse misplayed this game badly.  Instead of searching out DOTD for a matchup where multiple retires (and through resist) are extremely value he opts to get DOTE out of his deck so he could attempt to sack draw it off riding DOTL.  That's just greedy logic.

In any case I stay on G2 for a turn to get first stride (and try to get out of G-Assisting) and knowing that he had checked a Heal on his turn I structure my rather generous hand to play around Denial Griffin.  I push him to high damage through repeated Golsachi swings on the Winning Champ turn, he fights back with a Ziegenburg to build up hand and I respond with a 2nd stride GB8 and Gunzdon turn that kills him.

We all get our Promo commander Laurels and I make myself want to die by playtesting Amaruda against Set 10 Victor before calling it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment