Monday 9 December 2013

Locals Report - Judgment Day

First up I have to say YAY HUNDERS!!!  It makes me happy to see a deck I love to play get 2nd Place at ARG Montreal.  Looking over the build I must say its very standard with techs to beat the Dragon Ruler matchup.  I also won't be surprised if more people hop on the Hunder bandwagon now the deck has done legit well during a format that decks like it struggle.  Not that it bothers me any.  Stuff like this stopped bothering me long ago when I came to the realization that people will try out something that topped for many reasons;

-It topped a major event
-It's something new in a format that many except the extreme competitive (like Pat Hoban) find to be stale now
-They want to know how it works

My only issue with this is that retarded hipsters will not realize these points and call anyone who plays Hunders after this weekend an uncreative, netdecking piece of shit tryhard.  Fuck you buddy.  Fuck you.

Secondly I didn't actually legit play at locals.  Instead I was offered the chance to be Head Judge which I won't lie is something I've contemplating trying to get into after talking to the guys who ran our last Regionals.  Mind you this is locals, in Regina, during a -45 C winter nightmare.  To say this was small was an understatement.

Anyway the way we do things here at Locals is the judge "plays" against people but anyone who faces him gets 2 wins.  You may remember me mentioning this in one of my reports during the Genex Undine portion of Mermail format.  I decided much like Cameron do bring multiple decks with the intention of changing what I played between rounds and a totally legit Extra Deck.

Turns out it may have been a good idea to play today as I was on FIYAH with each deck, beating my opponents 2-0...even if for all intents and purposes I lost 0-2 against them.  Undefeated yet winless at the same time.  Oh the contradictions!

Round 1 - Assault Rulers vs Gagaga.dek

The guy is your typical ReRe that overextends, has no concept of strategy and runs a handful of destruction cards meaning anything that puts out Stardust has a field day with him.  This went downhill oh so fast.

Round 2 - Herald Agents vs Yugi Reloaded

This was the guy playing Exodia last week so I thought it fitting to use a deck that does largely the same thing; not allowing the opponent to do jack shit at all.  Difference is I still win my games through monster attacks.

Round 3 - Constellar vs Photon

This was where I had to bust out my old Dueling Network Moderator muscles as a couple of things came up that I had to explain like Veiler vs Pollux and how Galaxy-Eyes works.  Not to be mean or anything but...even if the person has been playing Photons for a long while (and admittedly his build has improved since the last time) when it comes to Dragons I know all.

Anyway the first game is ridiculous with me opening triple Pollux and two Algs so I'm forced to make Paladynamos and such.  It ends up being 300 vs 100 LP thanks to a clutch Forbidden Lance and I hang on just long enough to topdeck a Sombres and cowbell for game.  Game 2 I open ALL THE BACKROW and have Trap Hole, Void Trap Hole, TT and much more to stop several summons and such.  Then I start drawing monsters and win.

After that the top cut is announced and Megamonkey defeats Agents with Inzektors to win it.  The tournament went smoothly and I had a few judge calls.  I was able to respond to them quickly and I tried to keep the rounds moving while also throwing down the gauntlet on a few things that at this point have become really fucking dumb.  I enjoyed the experience and look forward to doing this again.  Once the tourney wraps up rades are done and I pick up more DT Constellars (!!) before we head to Robins, play some Vanguard then later on I talk with Monkey about the secret to immortality and other evil stuff.  The universe will be mine in due time after all.  Nah, I'm just kidding.


Or am I?

No comments:

Post a Comment