Monday 22 September 2014

Lolcals Report - Back to Roots



Originally wasn't going to bother with this as our tournaments are basically lose one round and you don't top and I've been the victim of some really bad beats this month (to the point that I'm considering taking a break again), but megamonkey insisted that I write SOMETHING as this blog has been a little barren, so here's a little something.

For some reason I felt the urge to "return to my roots" and play my oldest decks in both Vanguard and Yu-Gi-Oh! today.  In the case of Vanguard this meant rebuilding and updating my avatar, Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion to try and compete in the insanity that is post BT-15 and well, things went as expected.

Actually slightly better than expected.  The Blood may not be an amazing unit anymore, but he's still one of the only 3 Crossrides that Narukami have access to until Big Bang Knuckle Buster comes out and unlike Eradicator and Brawler, you don't have to worry about running subclan cards.  This means techs like Dragon Dancer Julia and old standbys such as Red River Dragoon are perfectly viable and the latter is actually very relevant.  I've forgotten just how good having an 8K Booster is and the numbers that Red River makes with my 10, 11 and 13ks can make it really difficult for opponents to guard for cheap.  Furthermore Vermillion's Limit Break is still REALLY good as clearing two rearguards is a powerful play and Big Bang Knuckle Dragon being able to do it for less cost will be really important in December.  I was able to give Dauntless/Nouvelle a fight, go toe to toe with Revengers and beat Liberators which is no slouch for an old, power crept deck.

Speaking of power crept.  I decided to play Disaster Dragon for Yu-Gi-Oh! for the first time since the debacle in Edmonton.  I usually play the deck once each format and that with the big three seeing consistent play in Regina that I'd actually have some good matchups.  Turns out Richard Clarke got a top 32 at his Regionals with the deck which great to hear as he's stuck with the deck all this time whereas I admit to losing faith in the strategy.  I really should immerse myself in the way of the Dragon again as Disaster could end up being the one deck I keep when I quit playing competitively next June.  In any case...

Round 1 - vs Burning Abyss (1-2)

Game 1 - I open with Koa'ki Meiru Drago and his heart sinks.  Matt had never heard, seen or played against the deck until today and I'm pretty sure Drago is on his shit list.  The game becomes a grind and ultimately I make a misplay that costs me dearly, he capitalizes and is able to make Volcasaurus to pop Drago and I really can't get back into the game.  I had 2 Masked Dragon in play and rammed both of them into something and summon Delta Flyer and Exploder Dragon (who got Wing Blasted), followed by Redox.  I had planned to make Leo, but wasn't running it.  Had I realized this I might have played that turn out differently (likely grabbing Flamvell Guard out of the deck to make Thought Ruler).

Game 2 - I lock him down with Drago with protection.

Game 3 - I drag this out thanks to Drago, Masked and a Ruler, but I run out of backrow and he makes a Dante and has the 2000 defense guy in play with time looming.  I have no choice but to try and Big Eye Dante away but he has Warning and I'm done.  Close game.

Round 2 - vs Artifacts (0-2)

Game 1 - I make the mistake of not having Tempest search out Drago through his discard effect and unfortunately he starts pooping on me with multiple Artifacts and hits an Honest off of Duality to my lone REDMD and no backrow.

Game 2 - I open with double Soul Charge, but no way to really abuse them.  Through a few turns I set up Drago, Stardust and eventually have enough food for Blaster in order to play around Prison, but he Breakthroughs Drago, Evacs Stardust, MST/Ignitions my only backrow and proceeds to shit all over me.

Round 3 - vs Toon Cannon Soldier OTK (2-0)

Game 1 - Drago doesn't do much outside of being a beater, but I'm eventually able to set him up with Stardust and Blaster to push through his backrow, then Castel away something to kill him.

Game 2 - I'm pretty sure I resolve Shrine and Soul Charge at some point and because of that I make Stardust.  However he gets beaten over by a Goyo Guardian that I made sure to BTS and end up trying to figure out how to clear it after drawing the Exploder Dragon that I wanted to pull out of the deck with the Masked Dragon I had in hand.  I could have summoned the Exploder and rammed it, but that would have left me open to who knows what.  Then I realized that my Flamvell Guard was still in the deck and that I could potentially make a Synchro play on the next turn should he swing into my Masked, so I set it and that's exactly what happens.  I make Hot Red Dragon Archfiend and blow up his Goyo, attacking monster and beat over the stolen Masked Dragon, summon ANOTHER Masked and then it went from there.

So I don't make it into top cut and the Asians do some scummy things to get the win, which come October we won't be allowing to slide.  I pull crap from my pack and we head to Robins where I first learned just how horrendous it is to play a non broken deck against Glendios and how utterly dumb multi ways are when you don't have a deck catered to it and when people run floodgates.  I also don't approve of the troll mentality of making a deck entirely full of anti cards just to ruin the fun of a multi way for the other eight players.  That's just douchy.

Props
-Playing with my old favourites!

Slops
-Getting KILLED because I played with my favourites.

No comments:

Post a Comment