Monday 1 September 2014

YGO Locals Report - Delicious Nutella

Back to back reports?  I know it's a frightening thing.  Furthermore in two consecutive days I also played what was arguably one of the best decks in the format in two separate card games.

In this case Satellarknights, because Megamonkey was able to pick up a Deneb and 2 Novas to get started on his deck, which he let me borrow in order to play a completed Nutella deck in today's tournament.  Seeing as there were three Shaddoll decks present, this didn't mean I was going to shrek everyone.  Either way I was pumped to play the deck I had chosen to push when first revealed.  Excited to do Satellar plays.  I was ready to just dive right-

Round 1 - Bye

Oh god dammit.  Well now I get to sit on my hands for a round watching everyone else play.  Then one of the retards got the bright idea to go behind the counter and try to use the computer and ended up DELETING THE TOURNAMENT.

Like do you even comprehend when you do this?  Fucking helmets.

Round 2 - vs Shaddolls (2-1)

He's playing an incomplete build that I don't know will ever be finished.  Not for a lack of effort, but more of everyone who has good Shaddoll cards on them are building the deck as well, so trying to get them via trades is going to be difficult when you do something dumb like trade an entire binder for one card.

By the way overtrading like that, or Derrick Trades as we call them are incredibly stupid.  I know we make fun of Woodhouse all the time for being slow, but when I try to think about these kind of trades logically, I get dumbfounded every time.

In any case Game 1 is hazy but I win it with advantage in some way, Game 2 I brick hard and die and in Game 3 I resolve Shadow Mirror, make Omega and flip Emptiness during the standby phase to prevent Super Poly from fucking me over.

Round 3 - vs Batterymen (2-0)

I don't remember all the details on this, but I know I keep him from building advantage with negation for his 9-Vs and lock him out with Emptiness.

Top 4 - vs Batterymen (2-0)

Pretty much the same here.  Negates and disruptions keep him from comboing.

Final - vs Shaddoll (2-1)

This one was a legit build with all the bells and whistles, the mini Chaos Dragons and Emptiness so I had to be really careful.  On paper this is a bad matchup, but it's not completely unwinnable.  Satellars can beat Shaddolls if they play around Fusion and don't get outtempoed early.

Unfortunately in Game 1 I opened double Altair and didn't see anything else for a few turns and Dragon kept picking off things.  Eventually I hit Unuk with CotH and start rolling, even using Berserk to hit a Fusion out of his Graveyard and a Falco, but he flips his set Fusion, makes Construct and annihilates me.

Game 2 I flip and keep Shadow Mirror in play while swinging with Denebs and Unuks for a few turns and eventually win vs his Emptiness and Light Mirrors.

Game 3 was pretty back and forth.  I open with double Shadow Mirror and Soul Drain so I have the floodgates to keep him from playing, but not the monsters so I'm forced to take several hits I don't want to before I start looping Altair and Denebs.  I "bait" out a Warning with Blackship and eventually grind out his board with Castel, leaving him with only one card in play and nothing in hand...and he rips a Fusion off the top and makes Winda and things just go downhill.  I play as many Denebs and Unuks as I can to thin out my deck as I have 3 Breakthroughs, an Evac, a Prison and 2 Calls that I can use to get around Winda and I hit one of those through Upstart + Duality, out the Winda and win a few turns down the road, securing first place with Satellarknights on the first tournament I decided to play the deck in.

Woo!

Props
-Getting first place at Vanguard Locals and Yu-Gi-Oh! Locals back to back.  Shitty Regina Locals or not, that's still a feat seeing as there were some legit good decks at both.  Regina's Locals have gotten slightly better in terms of legit decks to play against as by next month there will be; Sylvans, Lightsworn Rulers, Satellarknights x3, Shaddolls x4, Mermails, Batterymen, Burning Abyss and Bujin.
-Spreading my delicious Nutella across white bread.  Mmmmmm...

Slops
-Bricking.  I'm actually confident that had I opened RoTA or Deneb in Game 1 of the Finals, I would have 2-0'd my opponent.

No comments:

Post a Comment