Monday 2 September 2013

Locals Report - Just who the hell do you think I am!?

I was originally going to go with "Storming into a new format" but then things happened.  Awesome things happened.

Anyway welcome to the new format!  Isn't it grand?  I'm throughly enjoying myself even if I've only played a few games in this.  In fact the first Locals of the new format kicked off today and I decided to run Dragunity.  Turns out today was a good day for Dragunity in general as one got Top 8 and a Dragunity/Dragon Ruler hybrid got Top 4 at YCS Toronto.  My build wasn't anywhere near as aggro, however.  I opted to focus on being consistent and having traps to back up a simplified game state of even Stardust Dragon or to be able to hold down the fort for a turn while I assemble a nutty hand.  Threw together a side to deal with what would be sided on me and some matchups I didn't like and proceeded to take flight.

Hahah.  See what I did there?  I r so gud.

Round 1 - vs Heroes (2-0)

Game 1 - He T Roar'd my first attack then tried to do some stuff.  I remember Compulsing his Shining and that was it.

Game 2 - I open with the Mystletainn, Ravine, Phalanx hand and go the fuck off.  I decided to end my combo with a Crimson Blader to shut off his fusion plays...and he has Threatening Roar again.  He Dark Hole's my field and I'm forced to recover after making such a giant push.  I do because this guy is bad and running Jaden cards like Woodsman and he's unable to answer Crimson Blader.

Round 2 - vs Fire Fist (2-0)

Game 1 - He opens with a Bear and backrow, drops Dragon and swings into Mirror Force.  I establish Stardust and Thought Ruler over a couple turns and take it.

Game 2 - I open "the hand" and go off.

Round 3 - vs Fire Fist (2-1)

Game 1 - I open all monsters with 2 of them being Tempest.  Not ideal when dealing with a competent player and several backrow.  I bait out Fiendish Chain with Aklys so that Legionnaire can score the +2 on my next turn before he Bears and swings for game using Tensen.  I could have Veiler'd the Bear but I opted not to because I wanted to use it on his Xyz play and was not expecting the trap.  My mistake.

Game 2 and 3 - These are kind of a blur.  I know between the two of them a Maxx "C" is dropped and I consider taking the challenge but don't when I really should have given well...what do Fire Fist run that I'd have to worry about them drawing into sans Veiler?  They're not like D. Rulers who benefit from a 15 card hand.  Also basically it became a grind of Stardust, Redmd and Tempest just poking and poking.  He ultimately clears the board but my own backrow starts to put in work and Legionnaire + Phalanx + Tempest get enough shots in to win the match.

Top 4 - vs Chronomoly (2-0)

Game 1 - Every single of my Dux summons were hit by Veiler or Breakthrough Skill.  I'm able to get around this with Mystletainn in one instance and grinded it from there.

Game 2 - After getting around a negate I get "the hand" and go off.

Finals - vs Ophion.dek (2-0)

Game 1 - This is a clear example of how people will say "well if he does that I have this for that" but then it actually never does.  In a perfect world you will always have your ideal setup with your counters to their counters.  However this is the real world and you don't always get that.  Win the dieroll and make a Turn 1 Ophion?  Thats fine.  Guess what?  I've got the Legionnaire + Aklys combo that my deck has to get around that.  No Safe Zone or Forbidden Dress?  Well too bad!  Anyway I +2 on him (and get his Pandemic off the board with Aklys) and Fiendish Chain his second Ophion because he's able to drop another one the following turn.  I play Mystletainn and he tries to tell me I can't before I have to tell him about Fiendish Chain (this combined with his general aura that I got from him  pre match allowed me to determine his player level by the way).  Afterwards I Synchro Summon Thought Ruler Archfiend over anything else because everyone knows just how much Evilswarm LOSE to Master of Blades and well, TRA is alot like that and my decision was correct as he tried to Forbidden Dress him and things went downhill from there.  He also tried to Prison the Stardust I summoned later but I dodged that and took it.

Game 2 - He opens with a Heliotrope and protection but I've got Dark Bribe and a hand that allowed me to drop Thought Ruler and Stardust again.  It snowballed from there.  He looked really disappointed that he lost, especially to a deck that I've noticed alot of Ophion players think they they roflstomp.




Newsflash.  The Dragunity matchup is nowhere near that simple.  We have just as many outs to your deck as Dragon Rulers.  Legionnaire + Aklys is very real.  Zerofyne is also a thing.  Your deck is ass and the only reason it will ever relevant is Ophion.  By the way how about that YCS Toronto?  I'm pretty sure Ophion.dek did a whole JACKSHIT after top 32!  I have no problem with Evilswarm as a theme.  I think they're neat.  What I do have a problem with is the snobby elitist attitude that the people who play the deck because of Ophion's power have.

Ophion is not god.  This is;


After that we went to Cam's place and watched Gurren Lagann and got to see the epicness that is SUPER TENGEN TOPPA GURREN LAGANN.  Jesus fucking christ.  Oh and I saw a bit of Aladdin before Megamonkey and I talked about how awesome it is seeing Daniel GOD DAMN Bryan being so over.

Props
-Storming into a first place finish at the first Locals of the new format with Dragunity.
-Picking up alot of good stuff via trades.  3x Hootcakes, 4x Secret Blaster, Gold Rare Lonefire.
-Super Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagan.  Jesus christ.  IT SHITS OUT GALAXIES.  WHAT MORE DO YOU WANT!?

Slops
-Misplays.  There were two of them and they cost me dearly.

No comments:

Post a Comment