Saturday 10 August 2013

Locals Report - No Lols, just Sacking

A Saturday post?  Quite rare indeed.  Also rare was the chance to play either Pokemon or Vanguard at locals today because nobody plays Yu-Gi-Oh! at Comic Readers anymore.

I opted to play Vanguard over Pokemon despite this being the last possible weekend that I could play Zekrom/Eels at a tournament and roflstomp everyone because everyone at Pokemon Locals except for the organizer is over the age of 13 and don't play the game seriously.

It's totally not awkward at all.

...yeah.  So Vanguard locals it is!  Turns out we got to choose the format and it ended up being Tag Fights.  I partnered up with Megamonkey who was playing his DOTE Deck much to the chagrin of many in the room.  We called ourselves Team Fire Storm which is badass and all but now that I've had some time to think on it I have a better name;

Team BLOODY END.

With the two most try hard peopl-*remembers that this is a Vanguard Locals* okay nevermind.  There's at least 3 people who are more try hard than us.  Still with two SKILLED people teaming up this thing should be a snap, right?

Oh how little you know.

Round 1 - BLOODY END vs I don't even fucking know (Loss)

I open awful with no Grade 1s for a turn which is far too long in this game.  I also draw all 3 of my Heal Triggers so was up to Monkey to keep us alive while I tried to recover.

But then the opponents got 2 Critical Triggers when we were sitting at 6 damage and it was over.

Round 2 - BLOODY END vs DOTE/Bermuda Triangle (Win)

This one was much, much better as I opened strongly and the Bermuda Triangle player was an idiot or something according to the opposing DOTE player.  Anyway I'm able to hit the Crossride and BLOOD's 13k causes him to burn more resources than he wanted to on defense.  I also resolve an Ultimate Break to set things up for Monkey's end game push.

Round 3 - BLOODY END vs Kagero/Triangle (Win)

These two were in over their heads, basically.  We pretty much dominated them from the start and between DOTE and BLOOD they just couldn't keep up.

Round 4 - Narukami vs DOTE (Win)

Our team had no opponents, so we ended up "playing" each other.  Instead we pissed around and read "YGO Players you would Fuck" and other riveting topics from DuelistGroundz.  Oh and we played a War Duel.

Round 5 - BLOODy END vs Bermuda/Zeal (Loss)

I have no idea what the hell happened here.   We both played well and made correct moves.  They just...blargh.  I never saw a Perfect Guard and I'm certain Monkey only saw 1.  The Zeal Player was able to sack into a Megablast that put Monkey's DOTE at 7000 and neither of us didn't have enough defense to stop it.  Did we hit a Heal Trigger?  Oh no.  Certainly not!  After all we don't sack.  We beat our opponents with skill.

By the way.  Just because you managed to beat someone with a card that is widely considered bad by many players that doesn't mean the card is good.  It's still bad.

After that we were eliminated from top cut.  Being the Captain (I guess) I was entered into another tourney without really knowing.  It was to win a BLOOD mat.

Round 1 - Bye

Yeah I got to play no one.

Round 2 - vs DOTE

The DOTE guy from an earlier round.  He hits me with a double Crit.  I try to do the same but sadly I don't get the double crit and my YOLO drive fails.  I storm back and beat him down.

Finals - vs Sacky McLucksack (Loss)

The Zeal guy from Round 5.  I had every intention of paying him back in full for what happened before and frankly this almost seemed like it was right out of the anime.  A ferocious start that puts him on the ropes with a Cross ridden Vermillion "The BLOOD" with 2 Intercepts staring him down.  Unfortunately I'm not drawing near as well as I could (my Drive checks were either 5k) and he pulling triggers up the ass.  Would it have been too much trouble for me to get a Perfect Guard?  Ugh, I had him beat at least THREE times if it wasn't for Heal Triggers.  Worse yet he's also "that guy" who runs Stand Triggers in decks that aren't Aqua Force or Nova Grapplers and after he Zeal's my BLOOD down to 8k and attacks with his RGs what does he do?  Rips 2 Triggers off the top, one of them being a Stand.  I of course don't get a Heal off of my damage check and victory is stolen from me.

I flat out called him a fucking sack and this opinion has not changed.  I had that game won.  I kicked his ass from the start, played damn near flawless and he gets rewarded with some of the most bullshit lucky breaks I've seen in a long time.  I don't fucking care if this makes me sound like a pretentious asshole.  I don't care if "its part of Vanguard, man."

That was complete and utter horseshit.  I swear to Triple H that I'd better get some kind of karma reward down the line and start 4x critting people with Dragonic Descendant in the winter.

Props
-Tag Fights!  These are mad fun when you can choose your own partner.  There's at least 5 people I'd enjoy Tag Dueling with.
-Picking up a playset of Eradicator, Spark Horn Dragon.  First of the new Archetypes in the game!

Slops
-Getting super sacked.  Two games were outright STOLEN from double triggers at the worst possible time.
-Buying a box of Judgment of the Light and pulling A-S-S.  You're guaranteed a Secret and an Ultra in the box, right?  Nah I ended up being the poor sap who bought THAT ONE bad box in a case.  Yeah I'm done buying YGO boosters again.

No comments:

Post a Comment