Monday 3 February 2014

Locals Report - Яise of the Phoenix

First thing's first!  Let's make up a Vanguard Card because I can and I got the idea from the recent ep.

Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion
Grade 3
Attack - 11000
Critical - 1
Nation - Dragon Empire
Clan - Narukami
Race - Thunder Dragon
[AUTO] Limit Break 4 (This ability is active if you have four or more damage):When a «Narukami» rides this unit, choose your vanguard, and until end of turn, that unit gets [Power]+10000 and "[CONT](VC):This unit battles every unit in your opponent's front row in one attack."
[AUTO](VC):When this unit attacks, if the number of cards in your opponent's damage zone is three or more, this unit gets [Power]+2000 until end of that battle.
[CONT](VC/RC): Lord (If you have a unit without a same clan as this unit, this unit cannot attack).

Vermillion as a Break Ride?  Sure!  If Dragonic Overlord can pull this off I see no reason why Vermillion can't.

Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion "THE ЯE-VENGE"
Grade 3
Attack - 11000
Critical - 1
Nation - Dragon Empire
Clan - Narukami
Race - Thunder Dragon
[ACT](VC) Limit Break 4 (This ability is active if you have four or more damage):[Counter Blast (2) & Choose three of your  «Narukami» rear-guards, and lock them] Until end of turn, this unit gets [Power]+10000 and "[CONT]: This unit battles battles all of your opponent's units in one attack."
[CONT](VC):If you have a card named "Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion" in your soul, this unit gets [Power]+2000.
[CONT](VC/RC): Lord (If you have a unit without a same clan as this unit, this unit cannot attack)

I've always thought that "THE BLOOD" was an awful Crossride for Vermillion.  This guy pretty much fixes that by being able to hit everything on the board in one swing.  It may be a bit redundant for him to have this skill when the Vermillion Break Ride has something similar but this guy is designed for the turn after the Ride.

That being said onto the YGO portion of this and that would be Locals on Super Bowl Sunday.  I decided to bring out Fire Kings as it's been a few months since I've played the deck and honestly...I'm the best Fire King player here.  Woodhouse can bitch and moan all he wants about how much he's played the deck since it came out but the thing is when I play the deck, I don't suck at it :P

That and I have Wolfbarks, Yakshas and the all important Generation Shift.  People at Locals were wondering why I was so desperate to find these things that I'd pay even 2 dollars for one.  What good does the card do?




Decklist for the tournament;

3x Fire King High Avatar Garunix
3x Fire King Avatar Barong
3x Fire King Avatar Yaksha
3x Coach Soldier Wolfbark
1x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Bear
1x Swift Scarecrow

3x Onslaught of the Fire Kings
3x Circle of the Fire Kings
3x Fire Formation Tenki
3x Mystical Space Typhoon
3x Upstart Goblin
2x Rekindling
1x Book of Moon
1x One Day of Peace

2x Breakthrough Skill
2x Generation Shift
1x Bottomless Trap Hole
1x Solemn Warning
1x Torrential Tribute

2x Brotherhood of the Fire Fist - Tiger King
2x Abyss Dweller
2x Maestroke the Symphony Djinn
2x Diamond Dire Wolf
1x Gagaga Cowboy
1x King of the Feral Imps
1x Lavaval Chain
1x Steelswarm Roach
1x Gem-Knight Pearl
1x Number 50: Blackship of Corn
1x Number 85: Crazy Box

2x Royal Decree
2x Imperial Iron Wall
2x Skill Drain
2x Overworked
2x Mind Crush
2x Memory of an Adversary
2x D.D. Crow
1x Earthbound Immortal Ccarayhua

I ended up judging part way through so these games ended up being meaningless.  I'll still record how they really went.

Round 1 - vs Blackwings (2-0)

He opened pretty ass.  I think his only monster was a Vayu and his backrow were not the kind of things you wanted to use on Fire Kings.  I pretty much mopped the floor with him Game 1 and looped Garunix Game 2.

Round 2 - vs Bujin (2-1)

Game 1 I set up the Garunix loop though Generation Shift + Barong and it burned through his resources rather nicely since Hare is the only real thing that keeps Yamato safe from my deck.  He does break up the loop at one point but I pull out things from the deck that let me do combos with Wolfbark and Rekindling for the win.  Game 2 I pretty much die to his backrow with a Rekindling play losing to Bottomless.  Then in Game 3 I Mind Crush a Yamato and see he has the Honest and Crane right from the start.  I had to fight through a Fossil Dyna with Yaksha before setting up Garunix again.  He powers over it with Crane and Honest which is fine by me as during his MP2 I flip up Overworked since his creature still had the +2700 from Honest and I nuked his board along with my Barong.  It ended after that.

Round 3 - vs DevPro.dek (2-0)

Its the same 60 card Retard player that I've talked about in the past.  Needless to say Fire Kings push his shit in so deep I'm pretty sure that if he sneezed there'd be poop all over the table.

Bujin went on to win the entire tournament as they're damn near impossible for most of the decks here to consistently counter.  By the looks of it however Fire Kings actually have an alright matchup with the deck as it can play around their protection with Garunix looping (now easier).  I'm willing to bet Fire Fist do as well, sadly I'm only half done that deck.  My Fire Fist matchup pre siding is actually very favourable if I can dodge the BtH and Prison which is good to know with a Regional trip possibly coming up in the future.

Immediate changes I'll make to the deck consist of dropping Book for another Scarecrow.  Book is book, don't get me wrong but I think Crow just works better with the dynamic of this deck; I leave myself open while setting up my power plays.  I have 2 copies of 2500 Bujin Xyz coming in the mail and need to get Exciton Knight and Silent Honors ARK at some point but you know...money.

Otherwise I was impressed in what I saw a majority of the time.  I did get some brick hands that were difficult to outright unplayable but Generation Shift helps patch up things like opening with a Wolfbark + backrow.  It may be a -1 to pop the Wolfbark to search one but at the very least it lets you go into Tiger King on the following turn to start searching.

Props
-Finally getting to play Fire Kings the legit way.  I wish I knew about Generation Shift before.
-Schooling stun decks with Garunix looping.

Slops
-Opening 2-3 Garunix :(

No comments:

Post a Comment