Saturday 23 August 2014

CFV Locals Report - Awkward Conclusion

Not a whole lot I can say on this one.  I went to Vanguard Locals with Regalia while hoping to pick up the one last Satellarknight Deneb and Nova needed to finish my deck and didn't get to accomplish that.  One guy bought 6-7 boxes of the Bermuda Triangle Extra Booster for like 400 and I just facepalmed.

Then the tournament began.

Round 1 - vs Great Nature (Loss)

Bricked terribly here with a combination of Gradelock for about 3-4 turns while damage checking/Soul Charging Minerva.  I was able to somewhat keep up due to my opponent not having much to work with outside of his G3, but when it came down to crunch time I crapped out.  Vanguard really needs to have a best of 3 format.  It makes losses due to gradelocking/trigger sacking far more bearable when the loser gets another chance to try and right things.  For gods sake their OTHER game (Buddyfight) does this.

Round 2 - vs Blaus (Win)

This guy had pretty much the complete deck, but lucky for me I had basically the ideal outs to keep him from building advantage, namely being able to guard his Blaukluger + Morgenrot + Mars combo and keeping him from having Blau rearguards so that Galaxy if it ever appeared wouldn't be able to effectively limit break.

Round 3 - vs Ginevous (Loss)

I really don't like blaming losses on crits, but this one really did come down to him getting 2 clutch ones before I could set up and start abusing Minerva.

Round 4 - vs Link Joker (Win)

I suppose I got lucky here due to him never having Chaos Breaker Dragon out (his G3 was Nebula Lord), but I also feel I played really smartly with my deck, utilizing Minerva's Limit Breaks to eat away at his resources while having only one attacking rearguard (9 or 12 k) to minimize the amount of damage that Locking could do to my deck.  As it was only my Booster got locked/relocked and I was able to set up a devastating turn with Ordain Owl pumping up Minerva + RG Angelica to 28000 and 21000 respectively.  I didn't win on that turn, but he lost about 6 cards in hand and his RGs and on the following turn I took it with the constant restands.

Round 5 - vs Bermuda Triangle (Win)

This one was the Prism build and it went the distance.  Damn near lost to the one thing's Limit break of +10k and a Crit, but a damage checked trigger gave me JUST enough power to keep his rear guards from doing anything else and I grinded out the win.

Round 6 - vs Majesty Lord Blaster (Loss)

Much like Round 3, bad beats decided this one.  I won't go into detail on this one outside of must be nice to hit clutch criticals while never drawing Heal Triggers ever.

Round 7 - vs Revengers (Win)

Lol at complaining about how broken Minerva is when in reality Raging Sack Dragon is one of the most bullshit cards in the game.  Of all the "restanding" Vanguards, Raging Form is arguably the best because of not needing a Counterblast for his ability.  That makes a HUGE difference over say, CB 1 or CB 2.

In any case I open and don't need to mulligan which I tell him, and because of this the world exploded and now we're all dead.  But seriously if I ever have to not mulligan in this game, chances are I'm probably going to scrap someone and it pretty much happened here.  We both hit heals and I keep killing off his RGs before I start going after his VG with Minerva and see two PGs while the third is damage checked.  The fact that he had to pitch one of his Raging Forms for the PG shows just how much pressure he was under and I was able to hold on for the win.

Unfortunately it was after this that Derrick's Geargia, Sylvans and something else were stolen and he flipped out.  We all decided it was best to call it a day as he refused to play out the tournament.  Then he found his stuff in another deckbox as we were all getting ready to leave and the crisis was averted.

Props
-"Minerva is scary"
-Watching ARG along the way to Locals and seeing Joe Giorlando playing Satellarknights.  Good to see him back, and playing my deck of choice.  Killed my phone battery though.

Slops
-Couldn't pick up the last of the Nutellas I wanted.  I was willing to go pretty far to get a Deneb, though nothing stupid like trading off 3 decks for a single card.

No comments:

Post a Comment