Monday 9 March 2015

YGO Locals Report - The Gates of Despair

If you're wondering about the lack of reports on here, it'd be due to our Vanguard Locals being non-existent while I usually sit out YGO Locals due to not having a playable deck.

Not this time however.  Today I actually participated at Locals because my Nekroz cards that I had been waiting on came in, so I could finally start playing the deck and learning it outside of a DevPro setting.  In addition to that I made a killing in trades recently, picking up a Thing Saver Dragon deck for very little which changes what I may be playing in Vanguard for the foreseeable future as Royal Paladin are one of the few decks that can actually compete with Kagero...at least when I pick up the Jewel Knight cards needed to make Jewel Seekers.

Back to yugs though.  Our turnout was actually really good.  20 people which is the highest Tramps has had in a year.  Who would I face round one?  Well...

Round 1 - vs Yosenju (2-1)

To be honest, I think this deck is underwhelming.  The Yosen monsters are okay at best.  It's the deck's ability to run every good floodgate that allows them to do anything.  Without the floodgates they're really easy to push around and that happens in Games 1 and 3 here (Game 2 I had to scoop up as he opened with Thunder King and I had NO OUT to it).  I was able to outgrind him with my deck's engine while he made some misplays with Mind Crush which was huge.

Round 2 - vs Pileocards.dek (2-0)

Normally I'd call out Derrick for making a deck that does nothing but waste someone's time, but in his defence he's been more or less pissing around while waiting for Dark Matter Dragon to become legal.

Anyway a random pile of commons does about as you'd expect so we end up playing Vanguard where I brick with Thing Saver and lose to Metalborgs.

Round 3 - vs Qliphort (2-0)

I get a bit lucky here by having MST for his Floodgates and the fact that he didn't set down his hand thus allowing me to Trishula him both games.

Top 8 - vs Spellbook (2-0)

This was silly.  I blow him out Game 1 and Game 2 had 3 Twisters for each of his Towers.

Top 4 - vs Yosenju (2-0)

Rematch from Round 1 and I had to work for these ones.  He didn't have Mind Crushes which were a big help while I sat on Ragnazero one game and outgrinded his resources the second one.

Finals - vs Qliphort (1-2)

This was another example of where the deck itself isn't scary, but the Floodgates are.  I get both Vanity and Skill Drain flipped on me on multiple occasions and I simply did not get my answers to them.  I made a horrendous misplay game 1 that ultimately cost me it while I was allowed to play yugs Game 2.  Game 3 I brick horrendously with 2 Unicore, Cycle and Valk and I get both Drain and Vanity flipped on me while a Stealth chain blows up my Fairy Wind.  I ultimately scoop it up out of frustration and reply "no it wasn't a good game."

After this we all went over to Robins where many games of Vanguard were had, most of which were of me learning how to Seeker.  Protip; you restand Thing Saver.  Alot.  However if you're me, then you'll never hit triggers off of 6 Drive Checks.

As for my Nekroz deck, there are definitely changes I want to make to it as some of the ideas I had didn't pan out.  I did not like Reinforcement of the Army despite it seeing large amounts of play at the ARG this weekend, I'm starting to dislike Decisive Armour and I feel like my sideboard could have been better.  I want to say the Hands are optimal, but the decks I'd bring them in on are usually played by people who don't fall for them.

There really needs to be another MST Clone.  Or Storm can come back because my god fuck the floodgates.

No comments:

Post a Comment