Wednesday 14 October 2015

Force of Will Locals Report - ...a Force of Will Locals Report

Well it took several more months than intended but at long last The Blue Corner has Force of Will content!  This is mostly due to FoW being held on Wednesday which I almost never get off, except for this one thanks to some backroom politicking on my end.  That said I'm still very, very new to the game so going into this I was a bit on the nervous side due to my lack of experience/confidence in my ability to play this.  Long story short my games were going to be long, full of misplays and against high tier decks I knew I was going to get smashed.  On the plus side I was able to pick up a playset of Cheshire Cat the Grinning Remnant and several cards needed to build a Blue/Green Valentina deck that I saw online while borrowing some other cards.  Unfortunately I didn't have any Blue/Green Dual Stones and opted to run Magic Stone of Moon Shade in the slot on the grounds of paying 200 for any mana type wouldn't be so bad.

Oh how wrong I was.

Round 1 - vs Alice Blue/Black (1-2)

First match is against Liam to which I already knew was not going to end well.  Don't get me wrong, Liam's an okay person but he is NEVER fun to play card games with.  It can be Yu-Gi-Oh!, Vanguard, Magic or Force of Will it's always the same thing; he plays non interactive, protect the castle helmety bullshit 'control' decks that are usually linear as fuck.  Hell I'm willing to bet if he ever played the Pokemon TCG he'd run Item/Ability Lock Decks or play stall6ever in the video games.

So yeah any game with him will usually be a slow, painful and tilt inducing loss unless you can counter his shit and bullshit your way to a win which is what I did in the second game thanks to using Banzai Attack + a counter on his counter to OTK him (which my deck doesn't do often) wheras in Games 1 and 3 he literally sat and protected the hell out of Medusa who has the effect to spin anything it battles with to the bottom of the deck.  Block it?  Gone AND it's done before damage calculation so instead of its attack being negated, the Medusa's attack continues and I take the hit.  I attack and he blocks?  My dude gets spun before I have the chance to kill it.  The only way to kill a Medusa is to attack it while already resting which the one time I try to, my monster is blown up.  The match goes into time and after paying myself low because I kept hitting Moon Shades with my ruler I get burned for game.

My first match of this game ever and it's against a helmet deck and I lose to burn.  All that was needed to complete the trifecta of "shit I hate to lose against" was an alternate win con and I would be set.  At the very least I took a game from him but I won't lie when I say if I play him again it'll be too soon and by the sounds of other people I've spoken to I'm not the only one that hates playing him.

Round 2 - vs Black/White (2-0)

Like me this guy was also starting out in the game so it was great to be able to play at a pace I found comfortable.  I also opened with multiple Cheshire Cats and was able to field a board of floaters while drawing into and dropping a Purplemist the Fantasy Dragon at 1600/1600 which his deck couldn't do anything about and killed him after a few turns.  Game 2 we go a bit back and forth as I had to deal with Resonators I couldn't target for my skills which I've come to realize is a problem for my list while dropping a really big 1300/1300 dude that did 500 burn to me if I tried to target it (I forget its name) and was significantly bigger than what I had at the time (I only play 1 Purplemist). However I just so happened to have had an One-Inch Boy and 2 Blue Mana in play during his End Phase which I had Valentina quick cast while on my turn I was able to attack with it, using my Glepnir Regalia's effect to force his monster to block Inch's attack and kill it, but since Inch did damage to it the monster was also killed.  500 Life to out any threat on the board?  I'll gladly pay that!  After that he really couldn't do much else as I got to J-Activate Valentina and used her God's Art to snatch steal one of his monsters leaving him with one less card to block with and killed him heading into time.

Round 3 - vs Pricia (2-1)

Well of course Norden and I had to be paired against each other.  Just wouldn't be a report without me trying to remember how we tried to outwit each other with psyches, reads and oh wait he bricked Game 1 and hard to hard summon a 800/800 dude while I amassed a board and eventually dealt with in the first game while in Game 2 his deck went off very hard and despite having my own Medusa do Medusa things, he was able to deal with it and annihilate me.  Game 3 both of our decks got to do things and we went into time as I had been dealing potshots most of the game while trying to find a way to answer his large board of beaters without the use of target skills thanks to his Rat that made his creatures untargetable during my turn.  It eventually came down to me having just enough monsters in play to keep him from dealing lethal damage to me while I had a J-Activated Valentina in play whose God's Art I used to snag a monster during his turn to not only give myself a beatstick but to eliminate a potential block.  In hindsight this was a bad play and I should have Snatch Steal'd his Rat so that on my turn I could have just plopped down an Etna to stun his whole board (or at least his big threats) and just attacked over everything for game.  As it was I was still able to push for game as he couldn't block my monsters and Valentina was at +1000/1000, earning myself 4th place out of 16 which all things considered was pretty good as prior to this post I had literally only played less than 5 entire games of FoW.  Huzzah.

After that Ryan, Matt, Nebbit and I went to Beer Bros with a person I had never met before and one of my old classmates from High School who had stopped by to learn about FoW and look to get into it.  I chatted a bit with her and the others about things while waiting for our Woodhouse speed food to get to us before we all peaced out.  T'was a good day.

The Good
-Competed in my first FoW tournament
-Top 4'd said tournament
-Winning Record
-Got a set of Cheshire Cats!
-Both Ryan and Nebbit have the cards I need to legit finish my main deck, so I can continue to play Valentina Blue/Green for the foreseeable future!
-Met up with an old acquaintance from my youth.

The Bad
-Not having 4 Magic Stone of Deep Wood
-Having to play against Liam
-Losing to Liam
-Not knowing half of the rulings/interactions of the game.  I was trying to play my cards like Yu-Gi-Oh! cards.
-Not abusing Valentina's skills as well as I could have.  Being able to drop monsters on my op's turn and attacking on mine is really, really good.  Her God's Art is also damn handy for outing threats/blockers.

No comments:

Post a Comment