Saturday 19 December 2015

CFV Locals Report - Toki Wo Tomare!

Had to use that as a title at least once while playing Gear Chronicle which I totally did today as I was able to pick up an entire GC (and more) off a friend for my Genesis cards.  Do I feel a bit of regret at this?  A bit as Regalia was a deck I did enjoy playing and Fenrir was unlike anything I had ever piloted when it comes to Genesis.  That and for a very long time Omniscience Regalia, Minerva was an avatar for me during Block 3 format in addition to being a waifu I guess.  That said despite going after them and building Fenrir/Yata and Fenrir/Minerva so soon I had already become bored with the deck, so getting rid of them now while picking up the cards needed to more or less finish Gear Chronicle, a deck that I've been enjoying for quite a while now (but could never actually play because of expensive cards) in addition to becoming better with future sets due to the Time Leap based support was fine by me.

And with this I went from wanting to build Gear Chronicle at the start of the year but deciding not to so that Megamonkey could build the deck to getting said deck and playing it at the last locals of the year for me due to my work schedule.  Now sadly Locals got jewed out of trial decks and I was only able to get one which really put a hamper on the build I had in mind, but I made do with I got.

1x Chrono Dran
8x Crit
4x Draw
4x Heal

4x Chronojet Dragon
4x Steam Fighter, Bahliff

4x Upstream Dragon
4x Steam Fighter, Kalibum
2x History-maker Dragon

4x PGG
4x Strider
2x Timebreak Dragon
2x Steam Maiden, Gigi
2x Steam Maiden, Danish
1x Steam Fighter, Uli-Nigen

2x Chronodragon Nextage
2x Interdimensional Dragon, Ragnaclock Dragon
2x Interdimensional Beast, Metallica Phoenix
1x Interdimensional Dragon, Faterider Dragon
1x Interdimensional Beast, Upheaval Pegasus


Didn't realize I was running 10 Grade 2s and extra Grade 1s but that's what happens when you hastily make deck edits.  This build is considerably different from the Gear Chronicle of Set 4 where you focused entirely on spinning and powering up Gear Wolf for large columns.  Instead my aim is to abuse Time Leap to fetch units that suit the situation and be generally more proactive against decks whereas in the past if I was up against a deck that was passive or didn't commit to the board, I couldn't really do a whole much outside of my Vanguard attacks as my Rears were more or less vanillas.  At least this way I can push for extra decks/numbers by time leaping my 1s into Upstreams and 9ks into Baliffs.  Also since I'm not running Relic Master Dragon or Amber my need for CB is considerably lower than earlier builds so damage unflippers outside of my PGGs aren't needed.

Round 1 - vs Pale Moon (Harry/Beast Tamer) (2-1)

Despite all of the theory I had behind this decklist (which I had spent a good few days thinking about) I still actually had to learn how to pilot it in order to figure out how to get the most out of Time Leaping and thus my play with this deck started off shaky but gradually becoming better and more clever as I realized interactions between certain cards which I'll cover in a deck profile at some point.  In regards to this matchup G-Pale Moon actually is a respectable deck when Cancer Decks aren't present in the room as they can put out a good deal of pressure through Harri's Stride Break skill and the techs that Brando was running from older sets meshed nicely.  I wish I could have gotten a Deck Proile.  That said in Game 1 I'm able to overpower him, Game 2 I lose to a crit and Game 3 he's unable to deal with Nextage into Chronojet on top of Time Leaping into Upsteam Dragons then going into Gigis to maintain hand advantage so I win.

I also came to the realization here that with the exception of Jordan, everyone in Regina plays 12 crits, even in decks that really shouldn't because draws are better for their G2 game (Revengers come to mind).  Gonna have to take that into account when deckbuilding and defending as the desire to sack around here is very real, despite half of these people saying that Vanguard isn't always about sacking.

Round 2 - vs Shadow Paladin (Claret/Diablo) (2-0)

In a rare twist of events I'm the one who trigger sacks Derrick as I flip two crits and put him horrendously behind in damage and while he's trying to close the gap, I push and win the first game before he has a chance to stride into Diablo.  Game 2 is a little more hazy as I remember getting him to 5 damage but he double heals out of it, but I flip a crit on Ragnaclock and 3 damage him for the win.

Skillful.  Playing.

Round 3 - vs Gear Chronicle (2-1)

When I found out I was paired against Armando I wept for a moment as he's notorious for being a massive sack in this game.  Like we're talking about a level of sack that even Woodhouse would say "this is bullshit."

That said both of us were running nearly identical builds and lady luck was on both our sides today so this was probably going to be the most even match I've had with him all year!  Anyway Game 1 I somehow get him to 5 damage to my 0 so I'm able to no guard some of his stride attacks and save my PGGs for his Nextage pushes while running him out of options with my own pushes.  Game 2 he breaks my one passes with crits two turns in a row and despite making a major effort in getting back into the game I just can't overcome that much of a gap in adventage and lose.  Game 3 we go back and forth but I'm able to keep a better hold on his field by spinning away his rears while he can't answer mine outside of Chronojet's Stride Break so he's forced to attack with just his VG for several turns before I make a massive Metallica Phoenix push that leaves him handless and boardless followed by a Ragnaclock + 2 Upstream Dragons the next turn and win.  This match ended up being for first place so I ended up going undefeated with Gear Chronicle while Armando got 2nd, Derrick and Fatty Ding Dong I don't know and Ryan played Cancer Ripples but got savaged by RNGesus and lost each round.  I fear for Yu-Gi-Oh! Locals Tomorrow.

So yeah that's the report and this will likely be the last post I make on here for the year.  Happy Holidays.

Props
-Got to "finish" Gear Chronicle.  Atm I can play a solid build, though not optimal
-Outsacking people.  About time I got some love from RNGesus
-Selling off my Ripple Core for 60 when I had basically spent 5 bucks for everything.

Slops
-Need 1 more Nextage...
-Tramps not ordering enough Trial Decks.  Seriously this is getting ridiculous when this community has THOSE GUYS that will buy 4 of a Trial Deck to make everything foil (Brando).  You want to play Pale Moon?  HAH!  Also I know Brando's gonna buy 4 Granblue Trial Decks so I'll have to get some set aside...

No comments:

Post a Comment