Saturday 4 June 2016

CFV Locals Report - Deep Kaiser

A legit report this time around in case you were wondering.

It's been a bit but the blog is back in action with more tales from locals (worth mentioning) as following Regionals I had to work, then I had to sit out last week's CFV locals and made the mistake of playing YGO locals at a time in which I'm not fond of the game.  Come the movie pack/Felgrand structure my interest will be renewed but right now I'm NOT enjoying the game which is a point I've made clear and have been indirectly mocked for because of my preference for a game that is by all accounts even more flawed and horseshit than Yu-Gi-Oh! yet I still find enjoyable enough to play despite this.  I attribute this to a few things but the main one is that at the moment Vanguard actually has decks I find appealing enough to play that I'm willing to put up with the game's bullshit to get the chance to play them.  Yu-Gi-Oh! has had nothing like that for me since Nekroz and Clown Blade got slaughtered on the Banlist.

You see the heart of the matter is my shtick in TCGs has always been I play what I find appealing enough to stick with for a long time (like how I played Disaster Dragon from 2010-2012 and Mermail from 2012 to 2014) whereas I know people who have openly admitted that they have to keep changing up decks otherwise they become bored of the game and others will build literally everything under the goddamn sun.  Sometimes what I choose to play happens to be a rogue deck.  Other times it happens to be a meta deck and in some rare cases it's the best deck of the format.  In all cases I try to apply competitive theory and technical play to whatever I pilot.
Granted since Sept 2012 when Mermail came out what I've found appealing has usually been Tier 1 or near Tier 0 and almost every format to have come since I've wound up playing a Tier 1 deck and because of the time I've spent playing those decks people have probably come to expect me to be like Ryan or Magnus who will play strictly the best stuff when in fact that's false.  Why bring this up?  Because honestly ever since Pre-DOCS format there hasn't been a deck that I've favoured enough to continue playing regardless of the state of the format with the occasional appearance of Yang Zing (a rogue deck) and I refuse to play that deck when I think its a bad call.  I've built some shit but usually grew bored of them (Magician) or flat out disliked them (Kozmo) or the deck has more bad hands than good that I drop the thing like a bad habit.  As the result if the game does not have a deck I find appealing enough to want to play regardless of outcomes I'm more likely to sit the format out because I'm far less willing to put up with Yu-Gi-Oh!'s bullshit.

Which brings me back to my original point in that I currently favour Vanguard over Yu-Gi-Oh! because I'm willing to put up with its bullshit to play the decks I find appealing; Narukami, Granblue and Gear Chronicle.  Yu-Gi-Oh! has no deck like that for me until July and so I'm going to continue to sit it out and save myself the salt and increasing desire to quit that comes with getting your shit pushed in by people that I have no business losing to on even my worst day because they drew god/floodgates or I drew crap/no outs to floodgates.

So long story short people can back off on me choosing to focus more on Vanguard, Vanguard Theory and Vanguard Discussions over Yu-Gi-Oh! content at a time that I have way more interest in Vanguard than Yu-Gi-Oh! and respect my decision.  I'd like to think that I've at least earned THAT much after all this time.

Oh right.  This is a Vanguard Locals report.  Ahem;

This tournament was a 2v2 type where the losers of each team would play each other if there wasn't a 2-0.  Odd.  I ended up being partnered with Derrick which was fine by me as his tendency to flip double crits would hopefully make up for my flipping no triggers and as such I placed myself in the player B slot figuring that most teams would put their best player/12 crit player up first which I wanted to part in playing against.   I also opted to play Seven Seas Granblue with a heavily modified build that could do the usual Hollow shenanigans in order to have counter plays against Link Joker but I also ran cards that would help me maintain a board so that I wouldn't auto lose to Shadow Paladin.  The theory behind my list also took G-Guardians into account as their introduction into the format has now made games go a few turns longer which my original list couldn't handle and would deck out under.

With this in mind the pairings were done up and the day began

Round 1 - vs Altmile/Alfred (Win)

Thing to note is that these games are best of ones for each player and as the result we had 2 Nociel Decks in the room which would normally never see play otherwise.

Anyway this game takes a while as we are both able to adequately guard each others Aerial Knight/Nightmist plays thanks to 15k shields and G-Guards though since he doesn't run any retire cards I'm able to steadily build up advantage through my Amber Clone which culminates in 2 Break Ride turns and flipping Stand Triggers that I shuffled back into the deck off them to enable about 5 attacks of roughly 21K or more in both cases.  I run him out of hand and win while Derrick suffers from a trigger drought against Gears and in the third game doesn't have enough guard to live a 5 attack Altmile turn.

Round 2 - Bye

After losing our round we get the bye.  Great.  Furthermore Jordan and Evan who are both playing Nociel get paired up in the mirror which is about as exciting as watching Bujin play.  Team Rip indeed.

Round 3 - vs Legend/Rebirth (Win)

Yeah...until Blademaster Taiten comes out this matchup is horrendously one sided in my favour.  Not much I can say here as I kept going after him with 4 attacks a turn and letting my Hollow'd units dodge his stuff.  Derrick won against Darkface.

Top 4 - vs Chaos (Lose)

Well this game happened.  Simply put variance was not on my side this time around as; in 3 turns I only saw 2 triggers on offense and defense so I never had the power to push through his hand, I drew my Heal Trigger for turn 2 turns in a row ad milled my third, I drew only 1 Perfect Guard and I drew way too many Grade 3s and thus couldn't stop a 21k RG lane with crit to my 4 damage.  Really disappointed in this one as he had used up his Universes early and I was starting to get my deck rolling before I had a brick shoved in my face.  Derrick also lost his game as Jordan got to resolve multiple Refros and no hand in the world is going to help you against that.

So that was that.  We finished third and Derrick and I had a Granblue Mirror of Nightrose vs Nightmist and then I left.

Props
-Sold off the Darklady I got in Winnipeg at last
-With the exception of vs Chaos, my deck performed very adequately.  I'm going to tweak my G3 and G1 ratio as I drew way too many 3s too often but Colombard worked well and the Pokkur tech got in there

Slops
-My Chaos game.

No comments:

Post a Comment