Sunday 14 August 2016

CFV Locals Report - Off the plank

This one'll be short as there really isn't much to talk about here.  Regina locals at this point is 50% Shadow Paladin, 25% Chaos, 10% Kagero, 10% Gear Chronicle and 5% whatever I play (which today was Granblue).

Okay that last part may be a lie but I'm not wrong on the first two parts.  Let's get on with this!

Round 1 - vs PBO Shadow Paladin (Win)

Oh right.  I forgot something other than Diablo and Revengers existed.  This was my first time playing against the PBD Break Ride version of the deck and it ran very, very poorly for what Shadow Paladin is capable of at this point.  It lacks the consistency/field building engines of the other variants and as such it's more vulnerable to retire which combined with the kind of attacking prowess of Granblue will eat away at the PBO player's hand pretty quickly.  Both games went this way.

Round 2 - vs Kagero (Win)

I say Kagero, but this is more or less what Evan was able to put together in I'm assuming a month's time.  Long story short a Kagero deck without its G-Guards or multiple Taiten is terrible and makes an already lopsided matchup even further in my favour.  Our games take a while as you would expect from Kagero's style of play but I take and maintain the tempo for the majority of it.

Round 3 - vs Raindear Bermuda Triangle (Win)

The player's words were "this is the worst Bermuda deck of them all."  At least he admits how cringy it is to play the clan.  Not very often one of the players in our locals will admit to their cringiness and trust me when I say we have alot of cringers.  I'd say 50% of the players in the room today.

Get rustled!

Anyway he's able to do some cute things but this was more or less a beating.  I'm playing a Tier 1 deck and he's playing Crystal Beasts, except this can's fanbase is even more obnoxious.  I roll him.

Top 4 - vs Chaos (Win)

Last week I discussed a strategy to use against Chaos that can put them in an awkward spot.  This week I employed it and sure enough it worked in allowing me to establish a tempo he could never take.  By the time he was able to start terrorizing my field with repeated locks I had my Unlocker set up and used it to maintain my momentum for Game 1 and I ultimately beat him with a Double Crit after whittling his hand down with repeated pokes.  Game 2 I scoop up due to unintentional cheating by using Pokkur's effect multiple times without having a Cray elemental in my G-Zone.  I could have played it out, said nothing and nobody would have noticed but I'm too much of a babyface to do that.  Game 3 I play the matchup as best as I could, though he kept flipping crits on my no guards early game so I'm down 4 damage to 2 going into my Stride turns.  I run it back through Cannoneer terrorism and pokes with Slash Shade to put him to 5 damage and at 5 cards in hand going into a Break Ride turn with 3 open counter blasts.  I swing at him 5 times and flip a trigger on my Vanguard attack so he's hella dead.

And that was that.  Evan won his match in top 4 and had to leave for work, though given our Round 2 it probably would have gone the same, so I got 1st and another UFS mat.  After that Ryan and I talked wrestling for 2 hours and I called it a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment