Saturday 2 February 2013

That was FUN?

A post on a Saturday?  That must mean I went to the good locals!  Indeed I did!  In fact today was overall a good day barring some unfortunate things which I'll get into later.  Prior to this I had decided to get rid of my Mermail/Atlantean deck and I ended up getting rid of my Prophecy Regional Mat that I won with Dragunity.

In the end I got 100 dollars cash for my Megalos (one was factory damage and the other I valued at 60 since they were played), Ulti Photon Thrasher, Ultra Solar Recharge, Lightning Chidori, Ghost Rare Heart-EartH Dragon, DP Yugi Mirror Force, DT Catastor, Super Rare 1st Necro Gardna, 3x Ultimate Rare Herald of Orange Light, Breakthrough Skill, German Evolzar Dolkka, Super Rare Mobius the Frost Monarch, Super Rare Dimensional Prison and Ultra Rare Book of Moon for the rest of the Mermails, Atlanteans and 3x TP Deep Sea Diva.  Sure I took a slight loss as opposed to trying to overcharge them on Ebay (and people would have gone for them) but I usually trade with my friends at lower prices than I would with strangers.  Not to mention I still got most, if not all of the money I spent on the deck back in the form of my trades (Ulti Thrashers are like 40 bucks in itself, plus the 25 dollar Book of Moon, etc) and now I don't have to worry about the banlist killing the deck I'm playing.

I admit I LOVED playing Merlanteans.  Water decks in general were never good until they came around and I've wanted to play good water deck for years.  Its why I still try to make Gishki work.  However I also know full well that once the Suppressor Dragons hit the TCG I'm never going to play Merlanteans again so I figure why not get rid of the money cards of the deck while they're still valued high and money that I can use towards getting the Suppressors and saving up some cash for Nationals.  The way I figure it the trip is going to cost about 500-1000 dollars and with this I'm almost halfway there.  That said onto the tournament itself.  At the suggestion of Megamonkey I decided to play something a little more fun in the form of Lightsworns seeing how I haven't used them in a tournament all format and my subscribers have been asking for a deck profile on them for a while now.  I'll say the latter part isn't happening until I can work out the kinks in the deck as I have had notoriously bad luck with them in the past.  Everytime I mill a BLS or a Monster Reborn I die a little inside and such.

Round 1 - vs Heraldic Beasts (Megamonkey) 2-0

Game 1 - He opened kind of poorly and I milled alright.  I eventually knocked him down to >4000 LP and made Tempest Magician to burn off the rest of his LP.

Game 2 - This one was long as he was able to break through my monsters (I don't think I dropped a JD this game) and I was forced to sack a bit before time was eventually called.  Then I sacked a little more and I won.

Round 2 - vs Gravekeepers (2-1)

Game 1 - He busts out a Malefic Cyber End Dragon that I clear, then he busts out a Stardust that I Ryko and eventually I drop JD and nuke everything before going for a kill.

Game 2 - I dropped BLS early and poked with Wulf for the win...except I realized that Wulf I summoned off of Lumina was what I removed for BLS.  I told him he got the win since I created an inrreperable game state.

Game 3 - He Royal Tributes my BLS and Gorz but I'm eventually able to get out of it thanks to Tragoedia and eventually dropping a JD with Zenmaines.

Round 3 - vs Dark World (1-2)

Game 1 - His dealings lets me put the last 2 Lightsworns I needed for the 2 JDs I now had in hand.  Thanks!

Game 2 - Then he gets Skill Drain AND Dark Smog up turn two and I can't do JACK SHIT.

Game 3 - Look at me I can can get Card Destruction and all of my fucking amazing combo pieces AND my side decked cards and slap my balls in your face oh ho ho!  Dark Worlds are so great!  Fuck.  Lightsworn have to draw godly AND Gemini Imps in order to stand a chance against this pile of shit deck.  Its so fucking irritating when you can't clear a Dark Smog and they just keep plussing of it.  Oh you want to attack with Trag?  I'll Skill Drain that and remove it with Dark Smog.

I swear to fucking god I'm going to make a deck specifically to troll this garbage.  At least 3 people play it so I know there'd be one or two instances I could go Naturia Beast + Backrow turn one.  Oh you want to play your discard outlets?  Too fucking bad.

Also the whole "side decks are awful for the game" is complete rubbish.  The reason side decks are so powerful now is because decks are so one dimensional.  They weren't like this before but its just how the game has become.  Every archetype is linear to the point that they DO lose to single cards that shut down their strategy.

Top 4 - vs Photons (2-0)

Game 1 - I mill REALLY nicely with Wulfs and Necro Gardnas doing their thing.  I manage to drop a JD to clear the board and take it from there.

Game 2 - Kinda similar.  I mill BLS early so I set myself up to Monster Reincarnation it back and put JD out.

Finals - vs Dark World (1-2)

Same as Round 3.  I annihilate him game one and then he dickbutts me hard the remaining two.  At least I pulled a Photon Thrasher from my Astral Pack to go with the first one.

Props
-Lightsworns are still a good, albeit not wholly reliable deck.  For every Wulf or Necro Gardna I milled, I'd also mill 2-3 limited cards.
-Lumina + Garoth is so good.
-Maxx "C" is a troll.
-Picking up a Super Rare Tefnuit, Exploder Dragon to complete my Hieratic and Super Disaster Dragon decks.
-Dem trades.
-DD Crowing a Grapha.  That felt so good.

Slops
-Getting outsacked by Dark World.  Oh I dropped 2 Judgment Dragon on you.  BOO FUCKING HOO!  You got Card Destruction and Dragged Down Into the Grave every game.
-Bad mills.  My Soul Drains, Spirit Reapers and Royal Decrees rarely saw actual play.

Lesson of the day.  As long as Dark World exist, you can never have fun at your locals.

No comments:

Post a Comment