Saturday 13 April 2013

Cardfight!! Vanguard Tournament Report - What Are the Chances?

What.

No I'm serious.  I'm doing a report for Vanguard today.  In fact today was a special 3v3 Team Tournament with a Nats invite on the line for the top two teams.  Now sadly some things kept it from being like I imagined (3 people dueling simultaneously) but the overall experience sounded promising and I liked the idea of partnering up with people I knew (in this case it was Megamonkey666) and forming a team in which the power and friendship and courage and all that shit would conquer all.

4Kids' writing staff would have a FIELD day with this.

Anyway our team consisting of myself, megamonkey666 and a man known as Liam were team Abyssal Fire Storm spelling be damned and our decks were Narukami, Kagero and Shadow Paladin respectively.  I'd say that our team was overall very good thanks to a combination of skill and deck power between us.  Arguably I had the weakest deck of the team as while Vermillion is a great card Narukami have some major consistency issues compared to its big brother Kagero (and my lack of competitive play can also be an issue as I don't quite know how to play against a lot of the top decks) while monkey had the most power thanks to DOTE while Liam had the most balance (Crossrides and Perfect Guards).  Our order ended up with myself as first, monkey with second and Liam for game 3 as we wanted to try and play to our deck strengths against the most stacked team of the tournament.  Guess who we had to face round 1?

Round 1 (0-2)

Game 1 - Narukami vs Nova Grappler (Loss)

There is one thing you guys have to know about me and this game.  I.  Draw.  Shit.

A running gag around here is "Drawing a Dana hand" which means you open with a handful of triggers, put them back into the deck for the mulligan and DRAW TRIGGERS.

Yeah this happened at the worst possible time and while I can't blame my loss completely on it the fact of the matter is I opened god awful against a more consistent deck and player and basically was done after a couple turns and a few stand triggers on his part.

Game 2 - Kagero vs Kagero (Loss)

Megamonkey was sadly the victim of a double trigger sack off of twin drive.

So we are disappoint.

Round 2 (2-0)

Game 1 - Narukami vs Neo Nectar (Win)

This was a complete blowout.  My opponent was new to the game (and basically wasn't committed to it as we both dicked around before making plays) and Narukami kinda destroy this deck.  Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion can singlehandedly break up any board control the deck has thanks to his counterblast and it kind of happens here.  Also for once I get some lucky trigger breaks.

Game 2 - Kagero vs I don't even know (Win)

I don't even remember how this one turned out.  I'm sure monkey can tell me what to put here.

Round 3 (0-2)

Game 1 - Narukami vs Oracle Think Tank (Loss)

So he gets a Silent Tom out but I have a Perfect Guard in case I'm in danger.  My hand is set to annihilate his board with Vermillion and I'm sitting at 3 damage.  Worst case scenario I'm going into my turn at 4 or 5 damage so I opt not to use my perfect guard on my opponent's Vanguard attack.  What are the chances he'll double crit and beat me right there?

He gets a double critical and beats me right there. I was completely dumbfounded and extremely upset at the outcome.  I outright said to my opponent "Good sack" when he said "GG" then got up and left.  No raging or throwing salt.  Just walking away.

Game 2 - Kagero vs Shadow Paladin (Loss)

Monkey sadly has one of those games where he's drawing his triggers instead of checking them and the opponent happens to have a crapton of hand resources.  He managed to get DOTE out but vs 13 cards in hand even he's got limits.  Then the opponent double triggers him for the win.

So we are both very salty.  I misplayed (or did I get unlucky?), monkey got shafted and Liam hasn't played a game yet.  At this point all we could do is win the next round to finish at five hundred.

Round 4 (2-0)

Game 1 - Narukami vs Nova Grappler (Win)

This one was the new ride chain build that I barely remember.  Anyway I get a clutch Thunderstorm Dragoon as my hand was full of Grade 1s and 3s (including Vermillion) and I proceed to dominate his field as he's stuck sitting on a grade 2 for several turns.  He eventually goes off and amasses a large field but then Vermillion clears things up and I outgrind him.

Game 2 - Kagero vs Dimension Police

Enigman build.  I saw the guy put his Enigman to near 30000 at several points but monkey thankfully has enough hand resources to guard the attacks.  He drops DOTE early and constantly pressures the opponent into guarding his attacks out of fear of that Persona Blast and eventually he outgrinds him and wins.

Final Record 2-2

So we leave after this and buy packs from the shop upstairs.  From a mere 5 Pokemon Emerging Powers I get TWO POKEMON CATCHER.  BOO FUCKING YEAR!!!  Also I pull an ulti Glow-Up Bulb.  Yaaaaay.  This somewhat made up for an otherwise shitty tournament.

Props
-Fucking shit up with my team mates.  Dragonic Kaiser Vermillion and Dragonic Overlord/The End got in there.
-Pulling amazing.

Slop
-Misplays
-Getting trigger sacked.

No comments:

Post a Comment