Sunday 15 November 2015

Winnipeg Regionals Report - The worst one yet?

To be honest I really don't feel like writing this up, but I've done a report for each of the Regionals I've been to each this year and with this being the last one it's obvious I'm going to do one.

For this event I considered either Yang Zing or PePe as I felt the first choice had a strong Kozmo matchup and before arriving in Winnipeg we were told there'd be a fair amount of them, could maindeck every good floodgate in the game and the Zefra build was ridiculously fast.  However I ultimately discounted it as the Zefra build loses to Majespecter really badly and I didn't like the hands I was seeing with the stun build, so I went with PePe featuring Samurai Cavalry of Reptier as the Vector/Painful build just wasn't cutting it for me after we spent a long time talking theory with the group of Winnipeg players that we know (and happen to be their best ones at that) and realizing that playing Vector requires playing Painful which in itself isn't a great card and is not worth the 40.00 CDN tag.  I got my Painfuls for 12 though so no real loss there.  The result;


I opted to keep it simple.  Run 3 of the Performage Scales, 3 Luster and 3 more low scales in the form of Samurai Calvary of Reptier as his on field effect was passable.  I also opted to run a single copy of storm as a 3rd MST of sorts as there would be times were I needed to clear my scales and I didn't have Wavering Eyes OR I could just pop a Plushfire to pop a backrow and go off.  As for how it went...

Round 1 - vs Traptrix Tellarknights (1-1)

This one was a long, tedious grind as he got off two straight Myrmeleo summons and off the first one searched a Space Trap Hole which is an obvious tell that he has Bottomless and my hand was not equipped to just throw monsters into backrow until they were gone.  So I spend most of game one trying to keep him from building up advantage while whittling away at his backrow and ultimately come up short and lose.  Game 2 on the other hand I blew him completely out of the water by resolving Storm for 4 in an attempt to game shot him...except he has Flying "C" so I couldn't do that.  It's okay though as I end up ramming the Flying "C" and Jigabyte into his Diamond so that I end my turn with an Archfiend Eater and an Xyz Universe set knowing he has an Altair in hand and was likely going to make Castel to clear it and try and kill me.  He does and I Universe his monsters into D/D/D/ Kali Yuga which takes him by surprise and I blow up his freshly set backrow on EP and win as time is called with the match ending as a draw.

Round 2 - vs Kozmo (2-0)

Just going to say right now Shard is not the player that he thinks he is and this weekend proved that very well.  After talking with Ryan his build was fucking awful, his play with the deck has been equally bad and he is a very linear thinker.  His deck choices reflect this and in this match I absolutely crush him.  At least I'm sure I do as I don't remember much about it other than I deal with his spaceship easily enough and clear his Storming Force game 1 while in Game 2 he opens with a Spaceship and nothing else to my OTK hand.  Not so tough now without your infinite fucking floodgates, are you?

Round 3 - vs Burning Abyss (1-2)

A deck that got smashed via the list and in the hands of someone who literally just started playing the game a week or so ago?  Sounds like an easy win, right?  No brother.  That was not the case as in the first game I drew terribly.  I open with mismatched scales and am unable to keep a monster on board to his multiple monsters that I eventually clear and make the mistake of not using Warning to stop a traveller that kills me.  Game 2 I kill him in two turns and in Game 3 I brick again with a Plushfire, Time Space Trap Hole and multiple Wavering Eyes and never draw into another monster while his hitting Cir/Graff off his Dante mills, so I end up getting smashed by a noob.

Round 4 - vs Kozmos (1-2)

While this guy was a step up from Shard as a Kozmo player, now that I've had time to reflect on it I don't think he's an amazing player either as he made some very sketchy plays and tried to use handtraps in ways they weren't supposed to be used, such as chaining Maxx "C" to a Pendulum Summon, then trying to take it back when I decide not to Pendulum and instead set a monster.  Wtf?  We also had to call a judge over to explain how Chimeratech Fortress Dragon worked because he didn't think I could contact his Dark Destroyer.  Read the fucking card!  It's fitting then that in Games 1 and 3 I lock him out of the duel with Emptiness, but I end up getting greedy in the latter case in an attempt to gameshot under Maxx "C"...and he draws into Dark Destroyer and summons it via his Strawman to ruin that.  He drops another Destroyer and time is called as I have Luster, Plushfire, Wavering Eyes and Cyber Dragon in hand.  I set my scales to which he tries to Ghost Ogre but I tell him he physically can't as I'm just setting the scales and play accordingly, chaining Wavering to when he activates the ogre to Luster's effect.
I take a long time, maybe a minute and a half to figure out how to go about resolving this as I needed to make Emeral, shuffle back Chimeratech and tribute summon Cyber Dragon in order to contact fuse again and leave him crippled.  In the end I add Samurai Cavalry and summon Damage Juggler, ram it into a Destroyer so that I could search Plushfire, Pendulum for 4 to make Ignister to out his Kozmotown and Emeral to do the play I just mentioned to which his mind was fucking blown.  Now left with a Farmgirl in hand and nothing else to my board of 5850 damage, the only way he could win was to topdeck Raigeki which he fucking did.  To say I was crushed was an understatement.  I'll admit that the greedy game push I made earlier was dumb and I should have slow rolled him to a potential win under Emptiness, but dammit I managed to turn it around at the end.  He apologized profusely and said he did not deserve to win that one and with this I was now eliminated from top cut contention.

So with my spirit broken I should have dropped out of the tournament and just walked around like last time.  Instead I made the mistake of playing it out and I'll just sum it up here as I played some pretty scrubby people that I had way too much trouble with, losing to Yosenju PSY-Frames and D/D/Ds, with the last one being due to a game loss and him opening Anti-Spell + Wavering Eyes in Game 3.  I also played an Ignight player but against him I opened the literal tits both games.

And that was the tournament.  I finished horrendously and my will to play this game took a huge dive as I've now been to five regionals this year and I've choked at each of them.  I've hit a brick wall that I haven't been able to clear since September 2013 and it's fucking frustrating as hell.

So after all that we did the usual things we do post Winnipeg Regionals and saw Rhonda Rousey get fucked up in her fight among other things.

Props
-I smashed Shard.
-I made some really clever plays

Slops
-Misplays
-Brick Hands
-Raigeki banned please
-Not topping
-Losing to bad decks?  I'd say that Yosenju anything are not good and D/D/Ds are definitely not a good deck in the competitive sense.

No comments:

Post a Comment