Sunday 1 November 2015

YGO Locals Report - Goodnight Sweet Princes

Last opportunity to play Nekroz at Locals before the new banlist?  You bet I'm gonna do it!  Here's what I played;


Basically the same list I ran last time, except I put in Gishki Chain as a 7th Ju which worked out well enough and tweaked the side to deal with our local meta easier.  As for how things went...

Round 1 - vs Masked Heroes (0-2)

Game 1 he opened with Darklaw which I was able to eventually out thanks to Gishki Chain and Forbidden Lance but he ends up dropping an Acid afterwards and shotguns Vanity's Emptiness and I lose because of no mainable outs to the damned thing.  Then Game 2 I opened badly with Lance, MST, RoTA and Decree but no Brio, Unicore, Ju, Prep or even another RoTA so I could search out Clausolas and Shurit for defensive purposes and eventually die to repeated pokes by his monsters and Cowboy.

Congrats Konami.  You ban Exciton because it's in your mind an unbalanced card but you leave Emptiness alone?  I can't count the number of times I've seen games end because someone flips this fucking thing and it can't be cleared.  Christ.

Round 2 - vs Performage Shaddolls (2-0)

Norden had also lost his last round to Floodgates featuring Qliphort so this meant that whoever lost this one wasn't going to top and wouldn't you know, I open the literal nuts this match with a Turn 1 Diamond and Abyss Dweller to what would have been a bonkers hand of El Shaddoll Fusion + 4 monsters and Game 2 he opened an all monster hand with none of them being Dragon/Squamata so I OTK him.

Round 3 - vs Junk Doppel (2-0)

Nothing to say here as this guy was starting out, made some horrendous plays and didn't know what my deck did so I scraped him.  The only notable thing here was that he took for fucking ever to get his shit together as he was doing a trade as the round started and fielding offers from everyone while I waited.  I even attempted to do a trade myself which was difficult when you have Allen standing nearby going OODFPSDFKJDSFLKDSFJ:DSLKFDSJFDSL:KFJSLDKF when I'm trying to get say a Mist Valley Apex Avian.  Because him and Woodhouse fucking lose their shit whenever a money card comes up, people become much less likely to let go of the card and as the result the trade falls through.  Norden ends up getting the shit I wanted because he had a much better offer than I did and I end up getting screwed because of Allen had kept his fucking mouth shut after I told him to shut up several times this situation may have been different.

And that was it.  Because of bullshit in the first round I didn't top and thus my time with Nekroz ends on a sour note, as has often been the case.  I wonder if had I been playing in a better environment such as Winnipeg or even Saskatoon where I would only have to worry about building my deck to handle Dolls/BA during earlier formats and not having to deal with faggot decks like Darklaw Turbo/Qli/Burn my overall experiences with the deck would have been different.  At the very least if I lost it would have been to legitimately good players thus I could gain from the experience as outside of Ryan and Magnus, most of our playerbase is either awful (Kody) to moderate (Colby), or just outright sack you (Woodhouse).  You can't really "get good fagget" off of people scumbagging with Floodgates or opening Honest/ripping BLS.  It's really a shame too as I really do like Nekroz and I'll make some attempt at playing it post banlist at least once before completely shelving the deck.  With Shurit banned and people saying the deck no longer exists it means that some day I can take advantage of this and annihilate people because they forgot that Trishula exists and will play into it Turn 1.

After that we went to Robins where a round of Vanguard was held.  I let Norden play my Brawlers and he seemed to enjoy it while I tried out my revised Musketeers that I built based off some theory I had.  Long story short a good majority of the people or decks that I really hate to play against (Pokemon Scott, Machining) happen to be of the GB kind so if I can stay stuck at 2 while maintaining a large amount of pressure, I can lock them out of the game because their entire deck is vanilla while I'm still good go to.  Once they get to 5 damage I Legion with Vera and kill them because they've used most of their hand to block my 19-21K columns.  It's the same concept that Japanese Sanctuary Guard and Ripple players use and after executing it I can see why the North American playerbase considers this tactic to be cancerous and with certain decks it makes playing against them unbearable.  I'm not sure how Bushiroad is going to be able to handle this as they can't just say "no you HAVE to ride a Grade 3 if you have it in your hand" as players will respond by playing a Grade 2 rush deck, like Ripple Rush.

Props
-Got to play Blue Cards one last time
-Pulled off some really sick plays
-Made a 5 Material Diamond

Slops
-Got to play Blue Cards one last time :(
-Vanity's.  Emptiness.

No comments:

Post a Comment