Saturday 13 February 2016

CFV Locals Report - Too many airhorns

So what was supposed to be a Reckless Rampage sneak peek ended up being a bust as Tramps got dicked over by their eternally incompetent shippers.  Rip as the Tachikaze hype around here is real (though I'm more concerned about Nubatama).  On the plus side Tramps did get Wing Raiders and to nobody's surprise Norden even has all 3 decks built because of his baller skills letting him get playsets of all the good stuff.  At this point I suppose I COULD whine and moan about him building the deck I want in Raid Raptors despite wanting to play it myself for a while now whereas he never even gave them a second look before they got good cards...or you know what?  I'm gonna suck it up because like any competent person he probably had a change of opinion regarding Raid Raptors when it became clear after this set and Shining Victories that the deck just may be legit.

That and if he finishes the deck it's pretty much a given if I really want to play it I can probably borrow it for tournaments instead of having to invest in the deck myself :D.  So here's hoping that other people whining and complaining won't cause him to sell the deck out of being fed up because the Regina card game community is REALLY bad when it comes to people crying until they get their way.  I have faith that Norden won't give in to the bitching and keep Raid Raptors not only to stick it to these people but also to stop people from getting rewarded for the aforementioned bitching.  Especially when they have OTHER decks to play.

What I don't approve of on the other hand was the blataint overuse of air horn memes.  Holy shit that got really annoying, really fast.  Every 10 minutes I heard BEW BEW BEW BEEEEEEEWWWW and that pretty much killed the meme for me.  Seriously it was like Woodhouse heard the meme and as usual overused it to the point of ruining it.

Now with all of that out of the way onto the tournament itself.  I decided to play a Chronoscommand Revolution based Gear Chronicle deck as I still don't have 4 Nextage and the concept seemed neat enough to try.

Round 1 - vs Revengers (1-2)

Bad matchup.  Just bad.  While I do take great lengths to try and win this and I do come a bit close by taking a game and losing a clone one the sad part is that my specific build has a much weaker pre-stride game and Shadow Paladins often have very little for Revolution to spin away.  That and he was legit gradestuck but still managed to savage me through my mediocre hand.

Round 2 - vs Chaos (2-1)

Two things I really hit me today while playing this player.  One is that he ALWAYS complains about triggers.  If he doesn't get any he's upset.  If I get just one he's upset.  Second is that he's actually not very good at this game and a good portion of his wins come through crit sacking.

Anywho this match is where Reform Calling Gear Eagle started to put in work as while Universe was able to keep a good hold on my board for several turns, I was also able to convert what he didn't lock into new cards to replace what Chaos Breaker popped with its limit.  This and the very real attacks of my Strides, Upstream and Melam still allowed me to put pressure on him with just a single row.  Game 1 I end up winning through a Nextage I think while Game 2 he blows me out with triggers.  Game 3 is more back and forth as we check no triggers for several turns while he's locking my shit and I'm spinning his.  Eventually I have a board again and stride into Fiery March Colossus and use his skill to spin one of his G1s and thus make him a Glory Malestrom to his hand of all 2s and PGGs, flip a crit and kill him.  We all spend several minutes talking about what ifs given that both of our decks were mostly triggers at this point but I'll say this; I played my ass off this round out of trying to respect my opponent.  Even if we had shit luck I guarded appropriately, I utilized my cards so that his locks didn't kill me, managed his Counterblasts so that he couldn't Limit Break or lock and made certain he couldn't relock my shit through my strides.  Triggers or no Triggers I played circles around him and his linear ass deck.

Round 3 - vs Gear Chronicle (2-0)

A mirror had to happen.  There are 4 soon to be 5 people who own this deck in Regina.  Mind you this guy is the worst of them all and I smack him silly G1 through Guard Terrorism while he critsacks me to 5 damage Game 2, but I pull out of it by setting up a Melam into Heart Thump Worker play and swing with a supercharged Chronojet stridden Fiery March Colossus and kill him.

At this point I had taken my deck apart, shot a deck profile and planned on giving the cards I borrowed back to Norden as normally we only play 3 rounds and call it a day.  NOPE.  Top cut was called and I was the 4th seed.  I actually tried to get out of this as I was too lazy to put my deck back together and re-randomize it so that I wouldn't open aids >_>.  I eventually say screw it as I can always just get savaged by "skillful" (sacky) players and be done with it.  NOPE again.  I'm up against Norden.

Top 4 - vs Blue Wave (2-1)

5 hours later and I can't remember much about this.  I'm pretty sure what happened was Game 1 I kill him by flipping a crit with a Colossus attack while cockblocking PGs so he dies.  Game 2 we both stay stuck at 2 and I die and Game 3 he's forced to ride to 3 first to salvage a shit hand and I flip a crit to his 4 damage and he doesn't heal out of it.  Willing to bet his memory's sharper than mine on this so I'm sure his report will say a fair bit more.

Finals - vs Seekers (2-1)

This match took so long that by the time it was over I forgot if we even HAD a Game 1.  Well we did and I won it by doing Gear Chronicle things before losing Game 2 due to having to G-Assist Turn 1 and him resolving a 3 attack Thing Saver Dragon on me.  I guard all 3 swings safely but my hand is donezos afterwards and I get savaged the turn after.  Game 3 was one of the most awkward games played and somewhat frustrating as he kept healing at 3 damage and the game turns into a long, long grind of me trying to climb back in at 4 damage to his 2.  He's unable to flat out kill me as I keep spinning his RGs with my Strides so I'm able to block his stuff while whittling away his rearguards before it comes down to me being able to stride into Nextage to his two card hand.  Upstream Dragon lands a hit to put him at 3 damage while Nextage gets PG'd.  Nextage flips a crit that gets put on my double Heart Thump Worker line which swings and hits to put him at 5.  After this Chronojet swings with his GB2 Skill and I use both Heart Thump Workers to buff him up by an additional 10k to his jackshit and flip a crit for the tournament!

So yeah I win the entire this after trying to drop out of it before top cut.  Maybe I should be more haphazard more often?  Odd thing here is this is the second time I've played Gear Chronicle at our tournaments and in both cases I've won and against some credible opponents in both tournaments.  I think we've found my backup deck boys.  All in all it was a good day.  The Chronoscommand deck was okay but just like what TeamNoGuard said in their video it's a very casual for funsies list.  A legit Gear Chronicle deck should definitely be of the Chronojet/Baliff type and if I ever get a 4th Nextage I'll try to play it that way.  Upstream being able to search out your damage unflippers is very relevant.

Props
-Finished my Gear Chronicle (Main) Deck
-Pulled a Heartstamped Chronojet Dragon
-Picked up my 4th Nightmist Stride

Slops
-Bricking

No comments:

Post a Comment