Saturday 8 March 2014

Locals Report - Reversal

In a rare instance I have not one but two Saturdays off this month so I get to make a couple Vanguard Local posts on here.  Neat!  Also neat is the sudden interest in playing the Pokemon TCG which is fine by me as I get to play against competent players!  They just need cards to make their decks better which I've made it a mission to get.  I bought some packs like a bad but pulled really good for Yu-Gi-Oh! in compensation (Noble Knight High Lancelot dude for instance) and found white Ultra Pro sleeves which I snatched up asap.

That said for this Locals I opted to play Vowing Sword Dragon "Яeverse" and ended up participating in a team battle tournament much like the one I posted about a long time ago.  I paired up with Megamonkey (Revengers) and Mr. Cornfield (Garmore Liberator) and we'd be rotating who went first each round.  However we all suspected like last time around we'd either 2-0 our opponents or get 0-2'd ourselves.

Round 1 - (0-2)

I didn't get to play this around as my team mates both dropped games.  Misrides, trigger sacks, etc.  Like Feraligatr though I did not complain.  I simply continued to be the silent guardian that keeps everyone safe.

Round 2 - vs Great Nature (2-0)

I get the Crossbreak Ride and pop some of his monsters over a couple turns.  He pushes back and gets me into a bad situation to be honest.  He was up at least 5 cards in hand to my 2 and probably was going to kill me on the next turn if I didn't win during mine so when I drive checked a critical trigger I contemplated my options for a moment.  After realizing that if I put everything on my Rearguard, checked another trigger and put all of that on the rearguard (making it a 22k attacker) I would not have been able to get through the remaining cards in his hand and promptly decided to put it all on Vanguard and hope to hit the second trigger as he had already committed 20k to my 23k attack with Vowing.  I hit the trigger and kill him with a 33000  Vowing Sword Dragon "Яeverse" to win the game, leaving him CONSIDERABLY pissed because I double trigger sacked him.  I won't deny I gambled on that turn and won with luck.  If anything what I did was way outside of the norm for me as I normally don't gamble in these kind of situations due to my terrible luck of succeeding when attempting a double trigger.  However considering the situation I was in during this game I saw a chance to close out the game and took it.  That's what my logic told me and it worked.

Funny how I was able to apply logic to a situation involving luck.

Round 3 - vs Ancient Dragons (2-0)

Same deck as the last time so I made it a point to time my Retire skills properly and in doing so forced him to burn Counterblasts prematurely.  It paid off as I only had to worry about one turn of pressure and picked off his cards with  "Яeverse" to win.

After that the format got changed to simultaneous 3v3.

Round 4 - vs Eradicators (1-2)

I started off well enough with the pieces for the Crossride, but fizzled out due to drawing nothing else to support my attacks in addition to hitting my Heal Triggers early.  Vowing Saber Dragon attacked by itself 3 times before I was able to make a push, but I had no means of defending against his late game attack and ultimately took a Critical hit for my troubles.

Our team finished second, Megamonkey ended up wanting to build Revengers of his own (he borrowed a deck).  After that we went to Cameron's and played games of Pokemon using some poorly constructed decks.  I brick hard and it hurts then I played some Beyblade and found out how much the game hates Left handed people.  As for the deck I'm pretty satisfied with how it worked for a first showing.  Vowing  "Яeverse" is a pretty strong, threatening Vanguard but being able to provide rearguards for his locking on a consistent basis can be difficult.

Props
-2nd Place alongside fellow members of "Team SP" seems pretty legit.
-Pulling the Noble Knight Synchro
-Vowing Sword  "Яeverse" doing his thing.
-For once not being on the end of a massive dickbutting of triggers and in fact being the one doing the dickbutting.  Karma's a bitch, huh world?

Slops
-Fizzling out.  In my perfect world I'm able to open with the cards needed to Break Ride while checking triggers and drawing into complementary rearguards.  That never happens.
-Finding out that being a left handed Beyblader is really difficult.

No comments:

Post a Comment