Monday 31 March 2014

Lolcals Report - Not with a Bang but a whimper

First thing's first, there will be no update to X-Stars this month.  I wanted to put out a chapter today but I've been rewriting it for what seems like ever and I'm not going to rush it just to meet an imaginary deadline.  Sorry to disappoint but at the very least I have a better idea of what I want to achieve in the chapter.

That said onto this post.  Last tournament of the format and I decided to play Mermails seeing how 3 Gunde are kinda REALLY good.  The deck I took was simple, though lacking some money cards in the Extra and I honestly thought about running the Undine Engine to compensate as Black Rose access is a powerful thing when you don't have Excitons.  I ultimately went with Ocea instead.  Was it wise?  Well...

Round 1 - vs Constellar (0-2)

This was a disaster.  Game 1 he opened all Level 4 Monsters which is bad for the deck, however I opened up with Gunde and 2 Aqua Spirits and couldn't draw into any additional monsters for the life of me.  I can't say for certain what the Mermail vs Constellar Matchup is like, but when you brick like I did in the first game there's no winning it.  Game 2 goes a little better as I do combo a bit, but I fizzle out after whiffing off of Reckless Greed and having no way of stopping his Pleiades plays.  The lack of Exciton/Ark was really apparent here as I had a chance to make either, but lacked them and ultimately couldn't stop him from setting up a Cowboy for game.

Also it would have been really fucking nice to have seen Abyss-Sphere during either game.  He burned his MSTs early and often so I was at no risk of him picking off a Sphere.

Round 2 - Bye

Yeah after getting smashed the first round I had to sit out the next.  Wasn't happy with that at all.  I did do some trades during the downtime and picked up some stuff for projects while also pulling literally god tier from Premium Gold.  7 God Cards, 2 of which were Slifers is pretty good I hear.

Round 3 - vs Spellcaster.dek (2-0)

So I get paired up against a new player and not surprisingly my deck works like it's supposed to.  I combo off early and frequently, resolve multiple Reckless and just nut the hell all over him.

Top 4 - vs Constellar (0-2)

This match ultimately came down to my misplays coming back to bite me, and some bad beats.  I walk into Fiendish Chains without MSTs, shotgunned a Sphere when I shouldn't have and mis-sided.  Game 2 I resolve a Full House, but can't follow up on it as I sided out Abyssleed and wouldn't you know it, I NEEDED him to win!  I literally slammed my fist on the table and said "DAMMIT!" in frustration.  Getting 0-2'd twice in the same day in itself is enough to make me upset, but to my own botches makes me absolutely furious.

After that we went to Robins where I played some Vanguard and bricked while getting sacked, then played 2 games of Pokemon with Hobo and won/loss.  Supporter droughts are very real and they're in alot of cases a surefire way to lose.

Props
-I got to Mermail in a tournament for one!
-I picked up some stuff?

Slops
-And then I punted the tournament

No comments:

Post a Comment